The Hutchings & Crum photo car is distinguished by the glass panels that provided natural light for portraits. Hutchings & Crum operated its car ca. 1886 to 1888, according to Robert O. Brown, "Collector's Guide to 19th Century Traveling Photographers" (2002), p 127. Photo cars traveled from town to town making portraits; usually they included a studio, darkroom, and living quarters for the photographer and staff.